On 21st June 1955, St. Joseph’s School first saw the light of day. The year 1955 seems far back in time for most of us. But anyone connected even remotely with St. Joseph’s knows that this year marked the beginning of what was to become a dream of a lifetime coming to fruition 54 years later in the magnificent seven storey structure.
In 1955, late Miss Bertha Pereira [5th July 1931 to 21st June 2008] ventured into the field of Primary education, encouraged by her father, the late Mr. Dominic Edward Pereira and her sister the late Mrs. Blanche Pereira. Miss Bertha Pereira waited with trepidation and anxiety for the first hopefuls that sought admission here. But their numbers steadily swelled. And then there was no turning back. As the years rolled by St. Joseph’s school with Ms. Bertha Pereira at the helm, grew from strength to strength and today with 4000 students it is no doubt one of the leading schools in the western suburbs. More